Pakistani politician Maryam Nawaz was born to Nawaz Sharif and Kalsoom Butt on October 28, 1973 (44 years) in Lahore, Punjab. She is also known by her married name “Maryam Safdar”. She received her early education from the Convent of Jesus and Mary in Lahore. In the late 1980s, she was enrolled in King Edward Medical College, but later on, she left the college without finishing her degree because a controversy arose in the matter later on when an opposition leader alleged that her admission was not legal.
Maryam Nawaz completed her undergraduate studies from Punjab’s University where she obtained a Master’s degree in Literature.It was also reported in 2012, that she is completing her Ph.D. degree in Political science.
She got married to Muhammad Safdar Awan in 1992 at the early age of 19 when her husband was serving as a captain in Pakistan Army. After he retired, he also decided to take part in Pakistani politics. He was then appointed as the president of PML-N’s Youth Wing.The couple now has three children ( Muhammad Junaid Safdar, Mehr-un-Nisa Muni, and Mahnoor Safdar).
Maryam Nawaz is the daughter of the former three times Pakistani prime minister named Nawaz Sharif. Maryann was named among eleven powerful women in the world in the year 2017 on Sunday ranking issued by the New York Times .
POWERFUL WOMEN ANNOUNCED BY INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE:
NYT ( New York Times) said Maryam is the most powerful and most courageous woman in Pakistan and she is the most suitable heir to the political empire that her father Nawaz Sharif has built. However, this foreign media outlet said that the corruption that was charged against Maryann and her family are creating obstacles to her rising politically. The Times report says that she had recently emerged as the right hand of her father “Nawaz Sharif”.
JOINING POLITICAL PARTY IN PAKISTAN:
In 2011 Maryam Nawaz decided to join the Pakistani Muslim League (PML(N) to assist her father and she got the Membership in the same year. Maryam was appointed as the chairperson of Prime Minister’s Youth Programme and her responsibilities are coordination, management, finalization and supervision of the implementation of the program in November 2013. The program includes Fee Reimbursement Scheme for underdeveloped areas throughout the country for the encouragement of students. She said that the essence of this program is to focus on the scheme, to chisel and brush up the good talent of the youth of her country and also to provide equal opportunities for acquiring higher education to the students of underdeveloped areas. Later on, she was forced to resign as the head of ‘Youth Loan Programme’ in November 2014, because PTI had filed a case against her for allegedly not having enough experience for the position she was holding.
HER FATHER INVOLVE IN PANAMA PAPERS CASE:
- In April 2016, Maryam Nawaz, along with her siblings Hasan Nawaz Sharif and Hussain Nawaz Sharif were named in the Panama Papers as allegedly the beneficial owner of some properties in the United Kingdom.The probe began when the Panama Papers which is the largest document leak in history, this alleged showed links between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s children and offshore companies that are used to buy flats in London, as reported by the BBC. After which, PTI, (Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf) filed the petition in the Supreme Court of Pakistan against her for misdeclaration. After then, Panama Papers case verdict by Supreme Court of Pakistan has cleared Sharif from the allegations made against her by those who petitioned her in the year 2017.
- However, further investigated is ongoing with her for forging documents submitted to the Supreme Court in respect to the Panama leak’s case. The scandal has been generally referred to as Fontgate. If truly she is guilty of all these criminal offenses, she might, however, be relief from holding her office.
- The Panama Papers case which is officially titled “Imran Khan Niazi vs Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif”. The Panama game case was a legal case before the Supreme Court of Pakistan, heard between 1 November 2016 and 23 February 2017. The case was brought to court by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party leader named Imran Khan and Awami Muslim League leader called Sheikh Rasheed . It alleges money laundering, corruption and contradictory statements by Nawaz Sharif, the then incumbent Prime Minister of Pakistan in the aftermath of the Panama Papers leak , which uncovered links between Sharif’s family and eight offshore companies, the companies acquired luxury real estate in London from 2006 to 2007.
- The real estate was collateral for loans of up to $13.8 million as stated to the leaked Panama Papers. Nawaz Sharif later said that the flats had been purchased with the money which was earned from the sale of Jeddah Steel Mills which had belonged to his father.
FACTS BEHIND ON MARYAM NAWAZ DAUGHTER MARRIAGE:
Maryam’s eldest daughter Mehr-un-Nisa Munir got married in November 2015. Her wedding was a big ceremony and the wedding took place in Islamabad, she married to Raheel Munir who is a son of a business tycoon named “Chaudhry Munir”, Maryam’s son Muhammad Junaid Safdar, studies politics in London and has graduated from Trevelyan College of Durham University, England. He passed the examination of Bachelor of Arts with First Class Honours and maryam nawaz tweeted that she was very happy about the graduation of his son, and Mahnoor Safdar who is the youngest daughter is also a student of fine arts in Pakistan.
HER FAITH, APPEARANCE & CHARITY:
- Maryam’s religion is Islam, her grandfather’s name is Muhammad Sharif who is an industrialist and a philanthropist, she has black hair color, her eye color is dark brown, She can speak four languages and she is fluent in these four languages, her weight is 64 kg, she is 5ft and 5inches tall (1.65m). Before maryam entered into politics issues, she stayed with the family’s charitable association and she took the post of the director of Sharif Trust, Sharif Medical City and Sharif Education Institutes (a good way to start her career).
- Maryam Nawaz is set to contest for the election from the NA-120 constituency in Lahore, where her father was elected in the 2013 polls, the Dawn newspaper reported that she may also campaign for the provincial assembly from the PP-140 seat, it quoted the source in the Pakistan Muslim League PML-N led by Sharif. However, Maryam is yet to confirm or deny the reports of her running for the upcoming elections.